Sunday, February 15, 2009

Summer memories!!




Take this journey with me ,as we explore the annals of childhood memories and memories that are yours because of a child. Add your remembrances to the comment section or send me an e-mail and I will incorporate your treasured memories in this post with first names only. bloubird@yahoo.com So here are a few of mine:
.................
I went to Lake Delevan in Wi with my family, The beach was full of people and I had never been to a beach before, it was so beautiful and water so warm, we stayed until the sun was going down , glowing on the warm lake waters. Almost everyone was gone but us. I see that as clearly today as I saw it so many years ago.
.................
My Mom brought out a blanket on the cool grass in the shade of a large tree. She brought fabric pieces , needle and thread and some patterns she had made for me. I was making clothes for my 7 inch doll. Nothing like Barbie, but so special to me. Not only sewing the pieces but the time spent with my Mom is unforgettable.
....................
In the summer when my children were growing, from the middle of May to the middle of Aug. we went to the beach every sunshiny day.In the beginning it was Iron works park, we would get in my sister in laws car and pile all the kids in and off we would go with our peanut butter sandwiches and air mattresses so we could float on the warm water of the Rock River. Those beautiful summer days. Later on it was a small beach called Lion's Beach in WI. The brilliant sunshine on the water, the children playing and laughing. I still see my sons' shining black hair in the water as I watched him playing. Here we are again "Watch Me" "Watch Me" Those days , those lazy days of lying on the beach with my friends and family are like yesterday to me. The sweetness of summer shall always linger.
..........
Share with me!
..........Dawn writes:I remember camping holidays as a child. There were 6 in our family so this was the holiday we could afford. We used to pack up our transit van with tents and all necesaries and of we went - I saw so much of Germany this way (my dad was stationed there). We all had our jobs to do and could erect a tent, have the air beds pumped, the gas cooker and everything else set up in no time...
My children have had their summers in Spain where we have a villa, I think they will have happy memories xx
Thanks for sharing your memories x
..........
Linda writes:

I remember going camping in the Witicha Mountains when I was a kid
we would meet up with my grand parents and aunts and uncles and cousins and stay for a week...we would swim in the lake there and the camp fires at night were so awesome...Thanks for reminding me of this great childhood memory.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember camping holidays as a child. There were 6 in our family so this was the holiday we could afford. We used to pack up our transit van with tents and all necesaries and of we went - I saw so much of Germany this way (my dad was stationed there). We all had our jobs to do and could erect a tent, have the air beds pumped, the gas cooker and everything else set up in no time...
My children have had their summers in Spain where we have a villa, I think they will have happy memories xx
Thanks for sharing your memories x

Linda East said...

I remember going camping in the Witicha Mountains when I was a kid
we would meet up with my grand parents and aunts and uncles and cousins and stay for a week...we would swim in the lake there and the camp fires at night were so awesome...Thanks for reminding me of this great childhood memory.

Luv Mum

teri said...

Living at the Jersey shore, I also remember the ocean and the beach. We had something my mom called a "scotch cooler," which looked like a big round thermos. She pack sandwiches and fruit and soda bottles and off to the beach we'd go. My brothers and sister and I each had transistor radios and our own towels and I think my sister and I were just old enough to wear two-piece bathing suits with ruffles on the top to give us the appearance of a bosom. (Or so we thought at 7 or 8.) Long, sun-drenched days in the salt water and the sandy, and sometimes at night we'd tie chicken backs to heavy string and go crabbing off the local pier. I remember the songs on the radio and the coconut smell of the coppertone lotion, but mostly I remember my mom's laughter as she handed us soggy sandwiches from that scotch cooler.