Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Busy week for me!!--Autumn poems!!!



Spent much of the week working on the Christmas accordion book, had a couple of dr. appointments also this week and managed to make tomato jam from all my cherry tomatoes , about 6 pounds, it turned out very good with pieces of lemon rind cooked into it's sweetness. Made lemon bars and pork chops and rice. This is the time of year for cooking for sure. Going to make tortilla soup today. It is so good , if you haven't made it you just must, the recipe is on the internet under "amazing chicken tortilla soup" Soooo good.
Time to go and buy the stalks and pumpkins for the decorations for fall in front of the house. I have some wooden girls"halloween girls" that have to be put out, will post pictures on the weekend next. love this time of year, the leaves falling and the smell of the air, so clean and fresh. Apple picking time, made a small batch of applesauce yesterday, macintosh and granny smith, really good and sweet , love to leave the skins in too with a little cinnamon, Yummy!!
I am doing the exercise bike twice a day, This week is 2 miles twice a day, takes 16 minutes for each 2 mile ride. Next week I will do 2 1/2 twice. I am reading while I'm riding and it goes so fast it is really unbelievable.
Watching reruns of West Wing, Oh my Gosh what a great series it was. i watch 2 episoes with my morning coffee. Love project runway, survivor, a lot of the cooking shows like chopped.
Been reading books on pioneer life by Robert Morgan, Have been to the library this week, first time in many years , new library opened about 6 months ago, Very modern and so clean and new, but lacks the beauty of the old beautiful building in downtown Beloit, that historic building was donated to the Beloit Collage and they are using it as a library, I think. Glad it is not being torn down.
Well that's all I have to tell you but now that I have written it down, I'm really happy with my accomplishments this week. Hope you have a great and productive week and make some art along with your other fun challenges. Hugs Betty

A FEW AUTUMN POEMS:

"A few days ago I walked along the edge of the lake and was treated to the crunch and rustle of leaves with each step I made. The acoustics of this season are different and all sounds, no matter how hushed, are as crisp as autumn air."
- Eric Sloane

The hazy, cloudless skies of Indian Summer. Leaves scurrying down the street
before the wind. The cold shiver from an arctic blast. Indian Summer. The last
warmth of the sun. Chilly mornings and glorious warm afternoons. The Harvest
Moon. The Hunter's Moon. The Rainy Season. Dry corn stalks clattering in the
wind. The touch of frost on grass and window pane. The smell of burning leaves."
- Keith C. Heidorn

I love fall! Fall is exciting.
It's apples and cider.
It's an airborne spider.
It's pumpkins in bins.
It's burrs on dog's chins.
It's wind blowing leaves.
It's chilly red knees.
It's nuts on the ground.
It's a crisp dry sound.
It's green leaves turning
And the smell of them burning.
It's clouds in the sky.
It's fall. That's why...
I love fall."
- Author Unknown

1 comment:

Suz said...

Love tomato jam. Alas, we didn't have enough tomatoes, nor we we able to buy enough, to make it.

Suz